Friday, October 17, 2008

Rotation Six and e-mail problems

Sorry about the paucity of posts; it's been a busy week. I even had to come into work today (Friday), which is normally the weekend in this part of the world.

Anyway, this time I lucked out and was able to get the Emirates nonstop from Houston. Even though I had to sit in the middle seat, and even though the plane was a veritable flying nursery full of crying young children, EK 212 is still, by far, the best way to travel to Dubai.

I also lucked out and managed to find another place to stay that is within walking distance of the office. It's not as fancy as the hotel I stayed in last August, but if it allows me to avoid having to depend on taxis to get to and from work, then it's all good.

It's still hot and hazy over here. Things haven't cooled off very much in spite of the fact that it's mid-October. Of course, things never really get "cool" here...

One thing I've noticed since I've arrived is that I am having trouble accessing my personal e-mail account. I don't know if the fault lies with Etisalat's stupid proxy servers, Earthlink's mail servers or somewhere in between, but most of the time I try to access my mail via the web I get a TCP error. On the few occassions that I am able to get to my mail, I am only able to do so for a few minutes at a time before another connection error occurs and I get timed out.

I don't know how long this problem will persist, but it may mean that I won't be able to respond to e-mails sent to my mindspring address in a timely fashion while I'm over here. So if you have my work e-mail, it might be best that you use that address in order to stay in touch with me. (You can also leave messages for me in the comments of this entry, if you don't mind other people reading them!)

I'll be here through the end of the month. The way my current projects are going, another trip in November is likely as well. Ugh.

No comments: